I have neglected my blog for some time now, but I am hoping this will be a fresh start for regular postings.
My friend Carl has an easy Christmas Challenge that I’m participating in. Click HERE for the details. I would love for you to do this on your blogs, as well. I am going to start out with just one tonight under the category of traditions.
Each year our family visits a Christmas tree farm where we select and cut down our own tree. My parents started this tradition when I was little. We always had a fresh cut tree to decorate. I am thankful to have a husband who plays along and thrills my heart each year as he lay moaning on the ground trying to saw down my precious tree!
It’s always so much more fun when there’s snow on the ground! We found a beautiful little tree this year. It’s so full and there’s not a bad side to turn toward the wall. Our little tree is perfect!
We rode in a tractor pulled wagon to the field. After selecting and cutting down our tree, we waited by the path to be picked up. The kids pelted James with snowballs as we passed the time. They had a ball stomping through the snow. Anjelia spent most of the time eating snow off of her fingers.
After arriving back, the young men put the tree on a shaker to get rid of all the loose snow and pine needles. Meanwhile we enjoy visiting Santa in the quaint little gift shop, while drinking complimentary hot chocolate. Everyone is always so friendly and the spirit of old fashion Christmas fills the air. I just love this yearly tradition. It’s one that I hope we can participate in for years to come. I think everyone should give it a try at least once!
Here’s a Christmas Meme for you to participate in.
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? AE egg nog rocks! Too much makes me feel nauseous.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? When I was little he set them under the tree unwrapped. It was a thrilling site on Christmas morning. Nowadays he wraps.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I love white lights. The kids were disappointed i didn’t buy blue. Maybe next year.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No, but the kids would love that!
5. When do you put your decorations up? Sometime after Thanksgiving. Before Thanksgiving is too early for me.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Hmmmmmm. . . Spiral cut honey ham from the Honey Baked Ham store. DELICIOUS! I love the fudge recipe from my friend Karen. It has coffee in it!!! It’s incredible. Cookie exchanges are always a highlight.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Cutting down Christmas trees. My teddy bear Santa brought. Going to relative’s homes.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I can’t remember. I do remember thinking I heard him on the roof. I KNEW it was him!
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes, we often spend Christmas Eve with Mom. We exchange gifts. James usually can hardly wait and will give me one after the kids go to bed.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? lights first then the kids put the decorations on. Later I fill in the bare spots. The bottom is usually heavily decorated!
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love the snow. It’s so much more fun watching the little ones delight in it. Before kids I didn’t enjoy things like snow nearly as much as I do now.
12. Can you ice skate? Ha! I am the most uncooridinated, unathletic person in existence.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? My best Christmas was a number of years ago before kids. James asked me to make a wish list. I made a long one so he would have plenty to choose from. I thought I’d get a couple of things. He purchased every item on my wish list!!! There were piles of gifts. It was fun!!!
14. Whatâ€™s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Teaching my kids about Jesus, without him there would be no Christmas. Enjoying my family and friends. Being thankful.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Manischevitz (sp?) kosher wine at Mom’s. James and I have a bottle of Sherry we’ve been saving to sip together on Christmas. These are so sweet they are dessert.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Cutting down our tree, decorating the house.
17. What tops your tree? A bear angel.
18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? I am supposed to say giving. I love giving and I love receiving!
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Mary’s Boy Child / Oh My Lord by Boney M. I have lots of songs I enjoy. The kids LOVE the hippopotamus song.
20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I love licking candy canes, but only the peppermint kind. They are great in tea too!