I am so excited! I have found my new Christmas cookie for our annual Christmas Cookie Exchange! I did a test run of this recipe last night and my family’s eyes lit up with delight as they nibbled away. They are delicious! I have to make seven dozen for our exchange, but I get to bring home seven dozen different yummy cookies. It’s so fun!
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (10 oz.) jar maraschino cherries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Add dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
3. Roll into 1 – inch balls about the size of a walnut (larger if desired). Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Drain cherries and reserve juice. Press center of each ball with thumb. Place a cherry in indentation.
5. In a saucepan, heat condensed milk and chocolate chips until chips are melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of cherry juice. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of mixture over each cherry and spread to cover cherry. (More cherry juice may be addeed to keep frosting of spreading consisitency.)
6. Bake for 10 minutes.
“Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall.â€